Pittsburgh Critical Care Associates a private practice intensivist group provides intensivist services to UPMC Altoona.
- Pittsburgh Critical Care Associates (PCCA) currently provides intensivist and APP coverage 24-hours a day, 365-days a year in the 14-bed MICU, 12-bed SICU and 7-bed CVICU.
- UPMC Altoona is a 397-bed Level 2 Trauma Center and regional referral center for the University of Pittsburgh.
- Medical Center and is expanding its stroke services to offer comprehensive, multi-disciplinary care for patients with severe neurological injuries.
- Expanded services include a newly renovated 7-bed neurointensive care unit (neuroICU).
Intensivist and APP coverage is currently provided 24-hours a day.
Physician intensivist coverage is provided in house 16-hours a day, seven (7) days a week, and staffed by two physicians on day shifts.
- Days are: 10 hours a day (7am to 5pm), seven (7) days a week, and staffed by two physicians. Each physician is dedicated to either the medical ICU or to the non-trauma surgical ICU, with the second assisting the medical ICU with overflow patients.
- Nights are: in house from 5pm to 10pm. At the end of this shift, the intensivist signs out to the ACNP, who covers the ICU between 10pm and 7am. Intensivists rotate on- call nights every other night.
Intensivist day shift: 7am to 5pm
Intensivist night shift: 5pm to 10pm with sign out to ACNP who covers until 7am.
*It is anticipated that the neuroICU will be staffed by a neurointensivist and three neurocritical care APP’s. The neuroICU team will be supported by the established PCCA intensivists who are present in-house 24-hours a day.
PCCA supports the refined multidisciplinary MD/ APP intensivist team model of care to provide expanded critical care services. The intensivist in collaboration with the APP's function as intensivist teams.
UPMC Altoona is a 397-bed Level 2 Trauma Center and
is currently an accredited stroke center. Surgical services include trauma, neurosurgery, open heart (Center for Cardiac Care), orthopedic, and all basic surgical specialties. The Emergency Department sees approximately 40,900 patients annually.
UPMC Altoona has the largest service area in the state—serving over 20 counties in West-Central Pennsylvania, it is centrally located between Danville, Hershey, Johnstown, and State College. Penn State Milton Hershey Medical Center (2.5 hours east) and UPMC Presbyterian (2 hours west) are the closest comprehensive stroke centers.
UPMC Altoona is 40 minutes from State College in Pennsylvania, 2 hours from Harrisburg and 2 hours from Pittsburgh.
This city is the tenth most populous in the state and situated on the eastern slopes of the Allegheny front of the Allegheny Mountains. Each day, 60-80 trains pass through the city, some traveling along the famous Horseshoe Curve. The city is also home to Penn State Altoona. Interstate 99 provides access to the Pennsylvania Turnpike to the south and Interstate 80 to the north; and U.S. Route 22, which provides east-west service and direct access to Pittsburgh and Harrisburg (each roughly 2 hours away). The Altoona- Blair County Airport provides commercial air service, offering daily flights to Washington Dulles International Airport.
The intensivist will be an employee of Pittsburgh Critical Care Associates, Inc a private physician group. Full time intensivists receive a comprehensive benefits package including malpractice, family health insurance per month allowance, employer-contributed retirement fund (pension plan), employee directed 401k plan, and CME.
Location/Region: Altoona, PA (16602)